October is finally here! I love October, there’s Halloween, fall is in full force and you can watch horror movies everyday without feeling weird!
I love watching horror, thrillers and anything mysterious and whenever I’m home alone my go to mode is having a horror movie marathon all by myself. Nowadays when I’m living in a cabin in the woods I love watching horror even more, although it’s happened a few times that I need to leave a lamp on when going to sleep…hah!
This Three Things Friday I thought I would share my favorite horror movies for October in three different categories, but since it was soooo hard to only choose 9 I also added in a little list with the rest of my favorite horror movies in no particular order.
My favorite horror movies for October – Old school horror movies
- The Shining – Is there a better horror movie than The Shining. I LOVE The Shining, I love the book and tv-version too, but Kubriks version is just magical in so many ways. If you’re at all into it I highly recommend watching the documentary Room 237 which is about all the supposed conspiracy theories and interpretations people have about it.
- Rosemary’s Baby – I love Rosemary’s Baby, despite it being a movie by Roman Polanski, it is truly one of the most wonderful movies in the world. I personally don’t find it super scary, it rather makes me want to wear babydoll dresses and cut my hair.
- The Omen – Hello!? Is there a more classic horror movie than the Omen!? I love both Omen 1 and 2 and even the remakes are kind of okay. And if I ever have a son I’ll definitely name him Damien.
My favorite horror movies for October – Not that scary movies
- Hocus Pocus – Such a classic. I’ve watched Hokus Pokus every year (multiple times) since I was a kid and I still think it’s the best Halloween movie ever.
- Beetlejuice – I remember watching Beetlejuice with my sister when I was super young and being so scared of Beetlejuice and the scary characters in it. Now that I’m all grown up I find it to be such a fantastic and magical movie. Also, having just moved into an old house that we’re slowly redecorating I now feel extra much for Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin when the Deetz’s come and redo it.
- Scream – Scream is probably one of my all time favorite movies and I’ve probably watched it a hundred times since it first came out. I love having a Scream marathon, although I like to skip the 3rd one and go straight to number 4 since it just isn’t that great.
My favorite horror movies for October – New horror
- Us – I am fascinated by this movie, it is one of the most interesting and frightening films that I’ve seen in a long time, but it’s also so so sooo good and I really love the ending, which ironically makes me kind of happy probably mostly because of the awesome soundtrack.
- Midsommar – As a Swede who celebrates midsummer every year together with a group of friends on a small island in the swedish archipelago this movie felt very close to home except for the whole – spoiler alert – human sacrifice.
- Hereditary – This movie scared the hell out of me, made me research pagan gods for hours and never wanting to eat chocolate cake ever again. It’s just so good and terrifying at the same time. It really reminds me of Rosemary’s Baby but slightly more twisted – love it.
30+ more of my favorite horror movies for October I like – in no particular order
Silent Hill – To this day I still can’t watch it without fast forwarding through half of the movie. Love the making of Silent Hill, it made my nightmare not so vivid.
Jaws – Should be on my old school list, but I don’t really see it as a horror movie, but to this day I don’t like swimming after seeing it when I was nine.
The Ring – First time I saw The Ring was in a tiny movie theater in the middle of nowhere, made it even more terrifying.
The Lost Boys – I was sooooo in love with Cory Haim.
Raw – So gross but sooo good!
Mother – Confusing but terrifying.
Creep – Just don’t meet anyone you meet online or in a contact add. Fuck politness!
1408 – Made me afraid of hotel rooms.
Ginger Snaps – Watched it everyday when I was in highschool
The Craft – To this day I wish I was a witch.
Practical Magic – Can you tell that I love anything about witches!?
House of 1000 corpses – Terrifying, gross and tacky , but I love it.
The Devil’s Rejects – Sequel to House of a 1000 corpses, love it and the soundtrack so much. Rest in peace Sid Haig!
Lords of Salem – Another Rob Zombie movie, this one is about witches and I love it.
Poltergeist – So many mysterious things happened around these movies. I love the 3rd one the most.
Mandy – A masterpiece!
Doctor Sleep – Actually like the book more than the movie, but an okay watch and sequel to The Shining
Conjuring – All three makes for a fun movie marathon
Let me in – The Swedish one is just the best. The book is one of my favorites ever.
Suspiria – Love the new version, sorry not sorry.
Drag me to Hell – So many bodily fluids – gross, but it’s so good and kind of fun!?
It – the old tv-movie is just the best.
The Birds – Watched this on a plane once – not a good idea.
What we do in the shadows – not horror but one of my favorite comedies about vampires!
The Cabin in the woods – So weird and fun and scary!
Get Out – Terrifying!
Psycho – Love the sequels too!
Watch at your own risk! And make sure to have a lot of pillows handy to hide behind.
I would love to here what your favorite horror movies are in the comments below!